Welcome to Indian Hills Fire Rescue

Dedicated to the protection of those who live, work and travel within the borders of the Indian Hills Fire Protection District.

 

 

Chimney Care

Many residents in Indian Hills have wood burning stoves, pellet stoves, or fire places.  While all are an excellent heat source, proper chimney care is required to avoid a chimney fire.

Creosote is the main cause of chimney fires.  If it builds up in sufficient quantities and ignites inside the chimney flue, the result can be a volcanic chimney fire.  To minimize creosote:

  • Have your fireplace or woodstove inspected and/or cleaned annually.

  • Burn only seasoned woods.

  • Do not burn trash or debris in a fire place or woodstove.

  • Do not allow the fire to smolder.

Other tips for safe burning include keeping the area around the hearth clear of all combustibles, using a metal mesh fireplace screen, never leaving a fire unattended, and ensuring that the chimney flue is never obstructed. 

 

Keep Your Vents Clear

Make sure that you check your exterior vents for your natural gas furnace and hot water heater regularly to avoid problems with winter months. 

The outside vents need to be clear of snow and ice at all times to avoid the potential for dangerous indoor natural gas buildup, which can happen if vents become plugged when ice and snow melt during the day and refreeze at night. 

Also, make sure you keep the entire meter assembly clear since accumulated snow can prevent the meter from operating properly by stopping the flow of natural gas.  If you notice ice on your meter or are concerned that the meter's regulator vent may be blocked, call Xcel Energy at 1-800-895-2999.

 

Show Your Support!

Click on the donate button and use Paypal to donate today. 

Indian Hills Fire Rescue
4476 Parmalee Gulch Rd, Indian Hills, CO 80454
Phone: 303-697-4568 | Email: info at ihfr.org
Copyright © 2016 Indian Hills Fire Protection District

 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Website design by Foothills Computer Service

Help Us Find You